What are Salespanel's custom activities?
After unlocking essential lead tracking for your sales and marketing workflows you will always reach at a point where you would face this interesting question: why can't I aggregate lead activities from other marketing channels and use that data in lead qualification. Simple things like multiple clicks on an important button or video plays can be immensely helpful from this point of view when you start to look beyond tracking web page views. Salespanel takes you to the future and provides you an opportunity to implement this workflow using our custom activity module.
For any type of activity ranging from a phone call to an offline seminar registration to media view on your website, you can use custom activities. Think of custom activities as a highly customizable tool for all your tracking needs.
Custom activities have these components:
1. Category (required) - It can be used to categorize activity on a broad level. It's useful for grouping. For example, website activities, newsletter activities, etc.
2. Label (required) - It can be used to capture the action verb of the activity, for example: played a video, signed up for a webinar, subscribed to a drip sequence.
3. Activity Identifier (optional) - It can be used to record the identifier of the item on which the activity is performed. For example video id, webinar id, sequence code name, etc. Category, Label, and Identifiers can be used in Salespanel Segments and Lead Scoring as well! For example, you can create workflows like: if somebody presses a button twice and watches a video, it's a qualified lead. Pass this lead to the sales team by email notification.
4. Metadata (optional) - Add more detail for logging or additional information, not available for use in Segments or Lead Scoring.
Salespanel shows the custom activities in the following format on lead activities:
“Label” “Activity Identifier” on “Website”
To make it highly customizable and make it work with your existing tool stack, we designed it in a way so that you can create a coherent sentence for an activity for syncing to your 3rd application, and use different components for fine control over segments and lead scoring in Salespanel. Salespanel will use the above format everywhere the custom activity needs to be displayed, like Pipedrive notes or Pipedrive activities, etc.
How are custom activities useful in Salespanel?
Apart from the metadata, all other components i.e. category, label, and activity identifier can be used in your lead scoring rules and segments.
1. Create lead scoring rules according to your criteria and score leads based on the custom activities they performed.
2. Create segments to filter out the visitors based on the custom activities and take further actions, like assigning the lead or sending notifications to your team members, when a visitor qualifies the segment criteria for the very first time.
3. Connect your sales team with Salespanel's email and browser notifications using Triggers on Segments.
How can I log a custom activity?
There are multiple ways to log custom activities in Salespanel.
2. You can use Zapier action for the Salespanel application with any third-party application. No code is required for this. You can integrate any application like Google Sheets, Salesforce, Slack, etc., and log a custom activity in Salespanel.
In order to better understand how Custom Activity works, let’s go through an example.
Let say we want to log a custom activity every time a visitor watches the product showcase video for Product A on our website on which we have installed the Salespanel tracking code.
In this case, we will set the following:
1. Category as “website”, since the activity is taking place on the website
2. Label as “played video”.
3. Activity Identifier as “Product A showcase”.
4. Metadata will have the following info: the id of the video, whether the visitor was logged in or not, and the page URL on which the video was played.
This is how the activity will look like on the detail page:
There are different scenarios where you might need custom activities depending on your lead qualification strategy or just for tracking purposes. Fortunately, Salespanel has all the gears needed to enable that. You might need some help in planning on what to track and how to set up the workflow, our support is around if you want to discuss it. We recommend setting up custom activities on important events because you can always use this data later if you don't plan to do it now.